Monday, April 11, 2005

Third Monday in April...

Third Monday in April...

The Boston Marathon. The Grand Daddy of them all.
Traditionally run on the third Monday in April. 12
Noon start from the town square of Hopkinton, Mass.
Except for the Olympics it's the only marathon in
which one is required to qualify. My last one was the
101st running in 1997. My 17th (and probably last)
marathon.

I LOVED running Boston. It was the highlight of my
running calendar. This photo is from the 1988 race.
I finished in 2 hours, 42 minutes and eight seconds.
Good for 330th place out of several thousand runners.
For a "Ham and Egger" I wasn't too bad back then.

Even now I get a case of the nerves in the week
leading up to the date of the race. Spring for you
may start on March 20th, but for me it will ALWAYS
start the day after Boston.

No comments: