Friday, May 12, 2006

When you see the Southern Cross for the first time...


You understand now why you came this way.

On the weekends we traveled to different places around the country. My last weekend we rode the busses for about seven hours to the old Dutch fortress city of Galle. Galle is in an area hard hit by the tsunami. But, that's a topic for a later post.

I booked a room along the ramparts of the fort, Beatrice House. It had been built during the British Raj era and was about 200 years old. It looked it, but what do you want for six bucks including breakfast? Mr. Kure, also about 200 years old, was the proprietor, a very nice gentleman.

Anyway, as I walked out onto the street later that night I looked up and there it was. The Southern Cross. I was mesmerized. Why I'm not entirely sure. After all, it's just a coincidental confluence of a few stars. Maybe it's the old Stephen Stills song, but the Southern Cross evokes images and feelings of adventure.

I'm always happy to see Orion whenever I'm out. I think of him as an old friend. Now the Southern Cross is my new acquaintance in the night sky.

And I understood why I came this way.

Mr. Kure and his grandson say goodbye.

No comments: