Saturday, May 21, 2005

Your Joy is Your Sorrow Unmasked-Kahlil Gibran

So, last night I was making one last airport run to pick up someone for the college. As usual the details were murky. I had a name (a Muslim name) and his flight number. That was it. The story changed from day to day. He was a prospective international student. (Not likely, since I'd never heard of him) He was a recruiting agent for the school. (Also, unlikely for the same reason.) He was a friend of the President. (Didn't make sense because his Admisitrative Assistant had no idea who he was.) There were a couple other scenarios, but basically it had all the earmarks of a wild goose chase. For one thing, the pick up was at 11PM on a Friday night. Saad told me he had refused the assignment. That sounded odd, but I didn't blame him. Another thing was I was to take him to a Holiday Inn near my home, not the school. I didn't know what was going on, but like a good dooby (and a freakin' dumbass) I went.

Now I'm at the baggage claim area waiting for the flight. I've got my little "Welcome" sign with "Muhammad's" name on it. A swarm of people from what I figure is his flight come down the escalator. I'm searching furiously for a likely suspect. No Muhammed. I think maybe I missed him, so I walk over to the luggage carousel waving that stupid sign in everyone's face who looks like they could possibly be a Muhammed. No dice.

Suddenly, I'm grabbed by my shoulder. I spin around and who's standing there: Mick!

I could hardly process the information. It actually took me a few seconds to realize I'd been scammed. But, what a great hoax. After my trevails a couple days ago I couldn't EVER have asked for more.

He's here til Friday. But, today was a good day. MAN, was it a good day!

No comments: