Monday, January 02, 2006

Mick is Gone

Took Mick to the airport about an hour ago. The much awaited home visit is over. I know he'll be glad to get back to his work in the Virgin Islands. Who wouldn't? But, I hate to see him go. It was nice to have him around for a few days.

But, this is not his home any longer. He is off living his interesting life. Exactly what Jan and I wanted him to do. If it is his Kharma he will enter graduate school next fall. If not, something else. Time will reveal itself.

Funny, every species of animal at some point pushes it's young out of the nest. Except humans. We try to hold our offspring to ourselves for as long as possible. I consider that a flaw. I've said here before, the only way to growth is to break out of that comfort zone. The nest represents the comfort zone. I am proud of Mick and the way he is spreading his wings.

But, I still miss him. Hey, I'm only human.

No comments: