Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005 In Review: By The Numbers (Addendum)

Two things happened to me this week. I don't deal much in mysticism, but this is just too freaky. Let's just call it Kharma.

I was home visiting my parents. Mick was with me. My mom mentioned she had seen one of my high school classmates in town. Janet was more than a high school classmate. She was my first "crush" way back in fourth grade. She was every guy's crush. Beautiful girl, tremendous personality, compassionate, caring. I had to give her a call.

We met for lunch and had the best time recalling old times and old friends. Turns out she's a raving liberal. It was a great day for me. We hope to keep in touch.

OK, that's one thing. Then this afternoon, on the last day I get a phone call. Now, I hate to answer the phone when I don't know who's calling. It's always some outfit shilling for something. But, this was a cell phone call. Couldn't be an automatic dialer.

The guy starts asking if I'm the Mike Wigal who went to Athens High School. I told him they'd never take me alive. This was Russ, who had a crush on Janet in fifth grade. Like I said, she was every guy's crush. Not only did Russ and I go through grade school and high school together, but college too. In fact, we were both in the 82d Airborne Division at the same time. It was Russ who pinned my Senior Military Parachute wings on me. Russ and I had a long, beautiful conversation. To make matters even better he had recently heard from one of our old college buddies. Now I have a connection to someone I sadly figured I'd never see again.

So tonight, in the waning hours of 2005, I celebrate not the passing of a year, but the beginning of a new year and a rekindling of old friendships once thought lost.

I could not have asked for nor ever expected to receive gifts as priceless as these.

Happy New Year...

No comments: