Monday, March 21, 2005

Lock and Load...

I've spent the weekend mulling over my decision to resign from my job. I am committed. Or maybe I should be committed. It goes against our mind-sets to quit a job without some definite other employment to jump to. We are ingrained to be at work. When we meet someone new one of the first things we ask and are asked is "so, what kind of work do you do?" It's largely how we define ourselves.

So, I am stepping away from that. It's a little like stepping off the edge of a cliff into the unknown. But, it is something I must do. After Jan's passing I find the daily grind to be just that. By the time I get home in the evening, take care of the dog and get a bite to eat, I'm beat. There's little to no time for anything else. I want to be free to explore the other possibilities in life. I have many travel plans for this summer. Some possibly interesting employment (part-time) possibilities. I'm on the Board of Directors of the local Crisis Intervention center. They always want me to increase my volunteer hours from the current "nothing" to "something."

Financially I'm OK. So if I chose employment or ANYTHING it will be strictly because it is interesting to me.

So tonight I'm nervous. It's still a helluva thing to do. But I know it is the right thing for me to do.

More tomorrow.........................

No comments: