Sunday, March 13, 2005

The Start of the Best of what's Left

My first ever blog post. I'm sitting in Sofia, Bulgaria. Winding down from a 47 day around-the-world trek as an International Student Recruiter for a small, private liberal arts college in the US. It has been an exhilarating, exhausting, depressing, exciting, tremendous experience. I climbed on the Great Wall of China, visited the Taj Mahal, and scubaed in the Red Sea (First dive in 27 years!) Along the way I also did some damn good work for my college.

But, I have also come to a realization. Following the death of my wife of 25 years last September I have the rare unsought, unasked for opportunity to do something else. I have determined to resign from a job I've loved and seek a new life for myself.

I've always felt when we get too ensconced in our comfort zone we begin to shrink emotionally and intellectually. Only by pushing the edges of our comfort zones do we achieve real personal growth. Who knows where this will lead? I have some ideas of what I would like to do in the rest of this existence. But, I will leave all that for later. For now, it's enough just to make my initial statement and get started.

I hope this all doesn't sound too inane in the morning. I've had a long day and maybe a tad too much wine, but I've been mulling this over for a few days and so here it goes...

No comments: