Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Cocoa Leaf

I need to talk about the Cocoa Leaf. Of course everyone knows it's the base for the production of America's favorite nose candy, cocaine. But, it also has other uses. Each of us were encouraged to buy a bag of cocoa leaves and a ball of charcoal before we started on the Trail. When we got into the hills Freddie instructed us on how to use it. Basically we took about eight or ten leafs, wrapped them around a little chunk of charcoal and tucked the wad between cheek and gum. We were to chew on it for about five minutes then spit it out. The basic premise, as I understood, was to act as a bronchodilator. To open the air passages to promote oxygenation at the high altitudes. Apparently all the porters routinely used them to aid in performing their duties. More about that later.

After five minutes my tongue and gums were numb. Like when you go to the dentist, ala novocaine. It wasn't an unpleasant sensation. I don't know if it helped or not. The thing is, at altitude, unless you are bothered by elevation sickness, you really don't feel any different than at sea level. Of course, it's been proven there is an effect. A mile run at above about 5,000 feet will most assuredly be slower than the same effort mile at sea level. You just can't perceive the difference except with a clock. So climbing the mountains is hard whether they are in Peru or on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia.

Sometime I used the stuff every hour. Sometimes not at all. Never could feel a difference. We also drank cocoa tea which was pretty good if I dumped enough sugar into it.

The Peruvians in the guide business made kind of a big deal to promote the cocoa leaf, not as it is used in the illegal drug trade (as the Peruvian government is being pressured by You Know Who), but for it's legitimate uses.

I would have brought some home with me, but I figured I'd run afoul of a drug sniffing dog somewhere along the line. As it was we all donated what remained of our shares to the porters on our last night.

When we had finished at Machu Picchu and headed into Aguas Caliente for a little relaxation I bought a Tee shirt with this embroidered on it to promote the cause. You can use my Babel Fish link if you can't figure what it says.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've never chewed Qat, but I often chew the Fat.