Monday, December 19, 2005

One Unexpected Aspect of High Elevation...

A little side note to my trip. Cizco (Qosq'o) sits at an elevation of around 11,000 feet, give or take. This altitude can cause some discomfort until one becomes aclimated. Symptoms can be breathlessness, headache, maybe a little nausea. I was affected by none of these. In fact, as soon as we arrived in town I went out for a little run. I noticed no ill effects.

However, (and this was confirmed by several of my tour mates) there was a certain phenomenon which I will only refer to here as "de-gassing." You know, when scuba diving nitrogen gas absorbs into the blood. Upon returning to the surface you have to let the gas expel itself from the body through the lungs. It was sort of the same thing here.

Only not just through the lungs...

No comments: