Friday, December 23, 2005

New Year's Resolutions

If what you want to do is a good idea and you really want to do it, then do it no matter what time of year it is. January 1st is an artificial date. It has no significance other than a certain symmetry on the calendar. If, for example, you decide you want to stop smoking and it's August 18th, then that's a damn good time to stop. If you say "I'm going to stop smoking on January 1st" and it's December 23rd, then what you're actually saying is "I don't REALLY want to stop smoking, so I'm going to suck down all the smokes I can get my hands on between now and then." Once New Year's passes you realize you are still hooked and by January 6th you're back at it.

Screw Resolutions. When it's time, it's time.

Just so you know where I stand on this important issue...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Hani. We've got to start thinking about our SA trip for the coming year. LEt me know the dates ASAP.

Oh, and Happy Solstice!