Sunday, July 27, 2014

Wait! Wait!

Could it be? Why yes, I believe it be! UNESCO World Heritage site #103.

My Son (pronounced "Mee Sohn"). Between the fourth and thirteenth centuries a unique culture which owed its spiritual origins to Indian Hinduism developed on the coast of contemporary Vietnam. This is graphically illustrated by the remains of a series of impressive tower-temples located in a beautiful site that was the religious and political capital of the Champa Kingdom for most of its existence.







In the foreground a couple bomb craters from our war here. Much of My Son was destroyed in the fighting which occurred in 1968.
Currently there is only photo-bombing.

Then I saw some Jeeps left behind from the war. They are prized by many Vietnamese. This particular one belonged to a tourism company and was pimped out.
These: 
Were owned by the My Son site organization and were more or less original.

Then fellow traveller Arjen got his ears cleaned out by the same guy who cut my hair yesterday.

To sum up, seven UNESCO World Heritage sites within a thirty day pass through Southeast Asia. Not a bad month!

No comments: