Monday, September 26, 2005

Counting Countries...

Jason Combs and I are having a running discussion re: What constitutes being able to claim you have visited a country? I have waxed philosphic on these pages previously.

Now Jason is saying you have to stay at least one night in a particular country and drink the local beer. I have stated all you must do is clear customs and eat something. Hani concurs.

I was going to concede Jason's youth to my longevity, but he already nailed me on that aspect in his blog. I won't deny the obvious. Jason is a young whippersnapper, not even twenty-ten years old. I have significantly more mileage. Also, he's out there flirting, sucking down suds, and putzing around in general. I don't have the luxury of that much time. I'm old. I've got miles (and continents) to go before I sleep. I'm not much of a drinker and although I would like to flirt as much as the next three guys, let's face it, once you hit 40 a man basically becomes invisible. Like when you're trying to get a table at a nice restaurant.

But, I digress.

I'm sticking to my original thesis. Clear customs, eat something. Remember I originally wanted to claim it if you landed in the country, changed currency and bought something. But, I'M flexible. I can adapt. I can accept an opposing viewpoint.

Jason's like a Bush apologist on the Iraq War. Always shifting criterion on how we were able to count that country.

1 comment:

me said...

I see the debate continues! My position was and is that you have to clear customs and have a coffee in said country for it to count. But hey, I only have 5 countries on my list, so I defer to the world travelers! Sounds like you are having quite the adventure. I'm reminding myself of whatever commandment it is that says "thou shalt not covet' as in "thou shalt not covet Mike's world travels!
BTW, am I really going to be invisible in another 6 months when I turn the big 4-0? Say it aint so! I think I'm just hitting my flirting prime :)