Monday, September 12, 2005

One last post before I blow town...

I went for a run this morning in Mill Creek Park. The Closed Side for those who know. It's marked off in quarter miles, fairly accurately except for the last one nearest Rt. 224. It's short. You gotta run to the garbage can on the right for the full 440. ANYWAY, so I was doing six miles. I wanted to average at least 7:30s per. Which I was nicely. On my last leg, a little over a mile to go I was passed by a younger guy. He looked about 22-24, athletic build, but not marathoner lean. Still he was trucking along pretty well there. Now I haven't run in a race in over six years and have no interest in doing so. BUT he was right there in front of me. I couldn't resist. Everytime I pushed my pace a little, he sensed it and picked it up. I really didn't want to push that hard, but once a runner...

By the time we finished he broke. I could just feel it. We were probably running somewhere fairly close to six minute miles. Nothing to brag about, but as much as it made my legs hurt, IT SURE FELT GOOD!

So OK, last run before the Corniche in Beirut. I'll definitely take it easier there. Too much to look at.

I'm gone. Peace, out!

2 comments:

me said...

I had to laugh at this post. Yesterday my daughter and I went out on our 5 km power walk. It was such a beautiful day and all was right in our little corner of the globe. As we rounded the corner and saw our house way down at the end of the street, she announced "bet I can beat you to the front door." It's a bet I took, and I am proud to say, a bet she lost! Why do those of us in middle age take such pleasure in showing the young ones we really aren't all THAT old and decrepit? We collapsed at the front door tired and laughing, and I was reminded that its often those little moments, that are the sweetest.

Jan said...

Mike, I'm getting better at this blog thing and think it's beginning to do some good for my mental health. Every now and then, check in and see what you think. Have fun out there man and stay safe in this big world:) Jan