Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Visited the US Embassy in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia this Morning...

Our group had an appointment to meet some of the folks at our embassy. Turns out they only had a skeleton crew available because Karen Hughs, the Under Secretary for Stumbling Around Trying to Improve Our Image in the Islamic World, was in Jeddah putting her journalism skills to work whooping it up for the US of A. A version of the famous, "I'm from the government. You can trust us."

But, again, I digress...

The embassy is in a compound of several foreign embassies and, as always, there was a huge crush of traffic going to them. But, we were delayed about an hour, because OUR folks weren't expecting us to come in a bus (There were 19 of us) and they couldn't figure how to accomodate the bus in a parking lot the size of Iowa. After much scurrying around and multiple cell phone conversations and, "you should haves...", blah, blah, blah, we were allowed onto our own turf.

It just seemed they couldn't quite get their act together. Sort of like their boss.

But, naturally many great photo ops were provided. Except we weren't allowed to take cameras, cell phones or any electronic gear in. If I had a pacemaker I wonder how that would have worked.

I said I would post these thoughts here and some said the FBI would probably start a file on me.

Well, Jimmy Crack Corn and I DON'T CARE!!

No comments: