Thursday, September 08, 2005

Went to a new restaurant the other night...

Neighbors invited me out to this new place in the restaurant section of town. Nice place. Italian. So we walk in and the woman at the front asks if we want "Smoking" or "Non-Smoking." "Non-Smoking" of course. OK, it'll be a 15 or 20 minute wait. Fine. This ever happen to you? The place was busy and there were four or five parties waiting patiently to be seated.

Then I noticed how the "Smoking" section was practically deserted. Maybe 25% filled. I could only see one table with an actual smoker. So I asked the manager why a smoker who WASN'T there, who may NEVER be there, was more important to her business than mine. Why did all these smoking customers who weren't there merit reserved tables? I was there willing to wait to spend my money (OK, so the neighbors were treating. Same difference.). But the corporation felt someone who in all likelihood wouldn't even show up was more valuable to them than me. It just didn't make sense. Were they in business to make money or to make a sociological statement.

I realize the time is coming when every place of business and public access will be non-smoking. Remember when they had smoking sections on airplanes? I remember when hospitals sold cigarettes. Crazy.

Total non-smoking in public is a good thing. Hey, they don't have peeing and non-peeing sections in swimming pools. We shouldn't have smoking sections in public.

Kill yourself in private. It's the right thing to do.

No comments: